Job Title: Sewer Machine Operator ( Duncan, SC)
Job Classification: Non-Exempt/Hourly
Reports To: Sewing Lead
Position Overview: The Sewer/Sewer Operator is a semi- skilled position requiring understanding of Sewing. Commercial Sewing experience NOT required.
Monitor machine operation to detect problems such as defective stitching, breaks in thread, or machine malfunctions.
- Position items under needles, using marks on machines, clamps, templates, or cloth as guides.
- Place spools of thread, cord, or other materials on spindles, insert bobbins, and thread ends through machine guides and components.
- Match pieces in correct sequences prior to sewing them, and verify that lots and patterns match.
- Reading and interpreting patterns.
- Gluing and assembling of panels.
- Cutting, punching and buttoning.
- Guide fabric parts under machine needles and presser feet to sew parts together.
- Record quantities of materials processed.
- Mount attachments, such as needles, cutting blades, or pattern plates, and adjust machine guides according to specifications.
- Cut excess material or thread from finished products.
- Fold or stretch edges or lengths of items while sewing to facilitate forming specified sections.
- Perform equipment maintenance tasks such as replacing needles, or cleaning and oiling sewing machines.
- Examine and measure finished articles to ensure quality product.
- Cut materials according to specifications, using blades, scissors, or electric knives.
- Position and mark patterns on materials to prepare for sewing.
- Assembling pieces neatly into complete kits.
- Cleaning around work area as well as in warehouse when needed.
- 1+ years’ experience sewing as hobby or profession required, experience with complex sewing operations preferred.
- Experience sewing with upholstery (Auto, Industrial, and Marine) preferred but not required.
- Aptitude for commercial sewing required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office.
- Effective organizational, reasoning, evaluation and follow-through skills required.
- Is considered to be flexible, have the ability to multi- task and embraces change.
- High School graduate or equivalent preferred, technical commercial/industrial sewing training highly preferred.